Search the site >

Willie Rogers Under 12 Tournament 2006

Aodh Ruadh ran the 2006 Willie Rogers u-12 Tournament on Saturday, 24 June. Participating in the tournament along with Aodh Ruadh were Erne Gaels of Belleek and Saint Molaise Gaels of Grange. The tournament was favoured with wonderful, sunny weather and ideal conditions for fast, open football.

Erne Gaels and Aodh Ruadh got proceedings under way. The teams were well matched throughout the first half with both sides showing some lovely skills. Aodh Ruadh were able to go up a gear after the break and their greater scoring power saw them home to an opening victory by 3-8 to 1-4

Aodh Ruadh took on Saint Molaise Gaels in the next game. Aodh Ruadh continued their heavy scoring form whilst Grange struggled to find their rhythm. A goal for Grange immediately after the half time break augured a change in fortunes for the Sligo side, but Aodh Ruadh responded with a series of quick-fire points that effectively neutralised the impact of the goal. The result was a comfortable win for the Ballyshannon lads and a place in the Willie Rogers final.

The game between Saint Molaise Gaels and Erne Gaels was a play-off to see who would take on Aodh Ruadh in the final. Both sides were evenly matched in the middle of the park and in defence, but Grange had difficulty making their scoring opportunities count whilst Erne Gaels were more economical. With little between the teams at half time it was all to play for in the second half. Erne Gaels started the brighter and visibly grew in confidence as the half progressed. A final scoreline of 5-8 to 1-3 secured a berth in the final for the Belleek team.

Erne Gaels began the final meaning business forcing the Aodh Ruadh keeper into a great reaction save which went over for a point. Aodh Ruadh foraged up the field in search of response. With Erne Gaels defending wonderfully it took a number of wides before Aodh Ruadh found the mark, opening their scoring with a well taken goal. This was followed almost immediately by a second Aodh Ruadh goal and shortly later by a point. At this juncture Erne Gaels keeper made a brilliant save forcing the ball out for a 45. The save inspired greater endeavour from the Belleek lads as they began pressing forward and applying serious pressure to the Aodh Ruadh defence. A number of Belleek scoring opportunities went begging in this period, they were duly punished when a break down the field resulted in a goal for Aodh Ruadh before half-time. Erne Gaels rejoined the battle in earnest after the break mounting attack after attack, however the Aodh Ruadh backs were playing brilliantly, with some magnificent blocking in evidence. Having weathered this storm Aodh Ruadh broke up the field and narrowly missed a goal chance. Erne Gaels took this opportunity to mount a quick attack and came away with a point. After this the teams matched each score for score. A goal and a point for Aodh Ruadh were answered by a goal and a point from Erne Gaels. When the final whistle had gone Aodh Ruadh had secured the Willie Rogers trophy on a scoreline of 4-3 to 2-3.

Aodh Ruadh would like to extend their sincere thanks to the participating teams, to those who officiated the matches, those who provided the refreshments, the stewards and to all those who gave of their time and effort to make the event such a success.

Round Robin Results
Aodh Ruadh 3-8 Erne Gaels 1-4
Aodh Ruadh 6-7 Saint Molaise Gaels 2-2
Erne Gaels 5-8 Saint Molaise Gaels 1-3

Round Robin League Table
Team Won Lost Points
Aodh Ruadh 2 0 4
Erne Gaels 1 1 2
Saint Molaise Gaels 0 2 0

Round Robin Results
Willie Rogers 'B' Final
Aodh Ruadh 7-0 Erne Gaels 0-0
Willie Rogers 'A' Final
Aodh Ruadh 4-3 Erne Gaels 2-3

Click on the links below to go directly to the images

Report Filed: 26 June 2006