Search the site >

Reserves deliver six of the best

Senior Reserve Football Division 3
18 April 2014
Aodh Ruadh 6-18
Milford 2-8
Father Tierney Park

The Aodh Ruadh reserves continued their perfect start to the campaign with another emphatic victory, this time against a travelling Milford team. The game had barely started when Anthony 'Waddle' Coughlin found himself through on goal and made no mistake in finding the net for the opening score of the game. Milford registered their first score from a free, before Mickey McNeely and Coughlin added a brace each to make it 1-4 to 0-1.

Chris McCabe added a tidy point after some great support work from his half back position, with McNeely then slotting over following a fine passing move from the home side. Sylvester Maguire was the next man to register a score, dummying his man before dropping the ball onto his left foot for another home point.

The Aodh Ruadh onslaught continued as David Finnerty found gaps in the Milford defence with strong solo run to find himself in on goal and hammered the ball into the roof of the net. The visitors momentarily managed to find their stride, striking three points in a row, before Coughlin and Michael 'Sticky' Ward each pointed, with the visitors adding another two points from play and a free before half time to leave the score at 2-9 to 0-7 at the break.

Milford registered the first score of the second half, which was to prove to be the last score they would muster. Nicky Sheerin responded immediately with his own point. Sticky Ward was then pulled down in the square whilst collecting the rebound from his own shot which had come back off the base of the post. Captain Dermot Slevin pulled rank on the spot kick which he duly dispatched with some style. The Ernesideres went into overdrive from this point, with O'Donnell and Finnerty winning everything in the middle of the field. Sticky Ward added a further point, before O'Donnell found himself in on goal where he made no mistake to stretch the lead to 4-11 to 0-8. The day was to get worse for the visitors, losing their midfielder to a second yellow card for speaking too much of his mind to referee Lee Jordan.

Further points from McNeely, Sticky and Waddle (2) and Finnerty stretched the lead even more. Aodh Ruadh, with most of their subs now on the field, had one further ace up their sleeve, with Val Murray keen to play the role of the impact sub. The impact was instant, for the wrong reason, with Milford scoring a goal out of nothing. Murray's introduction eventually yielded him a point, before then setting up Sticky Ward for aonther Aodh Ruadh goal. Not happy with just a point, Murray took on the visitors defence on his own selling four dummies before hammering a shot past the keeper.

The Milford full forward was a constant threat and managed a fine goal with the last kick of the game for a little consolation for the journey home. This fine sunny day was all about the home team who ran out winners at 6-18 to 2-8, with sterling performances form Chris McCabe, David Finnerty and Daniel Kelly.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Paul Kane; Jason McMenamin, Ronan Matthews, Daniel Kelly; Chris McCabe (0-1), Ryan Patton, Calum O'Halloran; David Finnerty (1-1), James O'Donnell (1-0); Dermot Slevin (1-0), Michael 'Sticky' Ward (1-2), Nicky Sheerin (0-1); Michael McNeely (0-5), Anthony Coughlin (1-6), Sylvester Maguire (0-1).
Substitutes: Ruairí Drummond for Jason McMenamin, Stephen Bradley for Ruairí Drummond, Raymie Granaghan for Ryan Patton, Val Murray (1-1) for Sylvester Maguire, David McLoone.
Referee: Lee Jordan.

Last modified: Monday, 1 June 2020 at 1:11pm