Search the site >

Reserves register another big win

Senior Reserve Football Division 3
26 April 2014
Aodh Ruadh 4-13
Urris 1-9
Father Tierney Park

The Aodh Ruadh reserves continued their goal scoring spree in this season's campaign, recording another four against a beleaguered travelling Urris team, leaving their goal count at 19 after just 4 matches played and a perfect 100 percent record.

Both sides started brightly, with good early chances spurned by both teams. The home side eventually opened the scoring on the seventh minute with Michael 'Sticky' Ward popping over after some good work by Joe Watson. This was soon followed by an audacious effort by Dermot Slevin to lob the goalkeeper from outside the 45 after a poor defensive clearance, only to see his effort go just over the bar much to the relief of the Urris number one. The visitors rallied and created a few chances which they failed to make count.

The next score didn't come until the 18th minute, but it was worth waiting for as Sticky Ward found himself through on goal to punish the visitors with a well taken goal driven low and hard into the bottom corner. Urris eventually got off the mark with their first point on the 21st minute, to make it 1-2 to 0-1. Chris Goan, making his return to the team after suspension, added a tidy point off his left boot, before Anthony Coughlin blasted over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

The visitors added their second point after a well worked move which should have resulted in a goal of their own. Joe Watson added the next two points, either side of another Urris point, before Anthony Coughlin added the last score of the half to leave it 1-7 to 0-3 at the break.

Sticky Ward added another point straight from the restart, which was cancelled out by the visitors within minutes. The Erne men from this point went into overdrive, with a flurry of scores from the boots of Nicky Sheerin, Dermot Slevin (f) and two from Sticky, before a cheeky side footed effort was slotted past the Urris keeper by Anthony Coughlin, stretching the lead to 2-12 to 0-4.

Urris found some relief recording a pointed free and a well taken goal from their number nine, who was covering a lot of ground on a warm evening. Coughlin again found the net with a superb shot from the edge of the square into the bottom corner to bring the score to 3-12 to 1-5. At this point Coughlin could see the headlines, and duly dispatched another shot past the Urris keeper to seal his hat-trick and leave it 4-12 to 1-6.

The Aodh Ruadh bench was being emptied by this point, with Waddle enjoying the appreciation of the crowd as he strolled off when being replaced by Peter McKenna for the final ten. The visitors recorded the next four points, before Sticky Ward added the final score of the day in the dying moments to leave the winning margin at 13 points. There were very steady performances again right across the pitch, with Ronan Matthews and Ciaran Slevin doing well at the back, with Finnerty and O'Donnell again controlling midfield.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Paul Kane; Ciaran Slevin, Ronan Matthews; Chris McCabe, Ryan Patton, Chris Goan (0-1); David Finnerty, James O'Donnell; Michael 'Sticky' Ward (1-5), Anthony Coughlin (3-2), Joe Watson (0-2); Nicky Sheerin (0-1), Dermot Slevin (0-2, 1f)
Substitutes: Daniel Kelly for Ryan Patton, Michael McNeely for Nicky Sheerin, Callum O'Halloran for Chris Goan, Ruairí Drummond for Chris McCabe, Sylvester Maguire for Joe Watson, Peter McKenna for Anthony Coughlin, Raymie Granaghan, David McLoone, Stephen Bradley, Johnny Dolan, Diarmaid Keown.
Referee: Lee Jordan.

Last modified: Monday, 1 June 2020 at 1:11pm