Search the site >

Aodh Ruadh denied promotion

Senior Football Division 2/3 relegation promotion play-off
15 November 2014
Aodh Ruadh 1-9
Glenfin 2-7
John Hughes reports from Convoy

The better of the sides across the course of the game, this was a very difficult defeat for Aodh Ruadh to take.

Glenfin got off to the ideal start, hitting the net through Jason Morrow after three minutes. Aodh Ruadh weren't unduly fazed though and opened their account through a David McGurrin free two minutes later.

Stephen McDermott added another point for Glenfin before a Niall Harley shot on goal was well-saved and parried out for a 45. Harley was instrumental in creating next score though, working hard to win the ball and work it to Kerry Ryan. Ryan's shot at the posts lacked power and was flicked home by Barry Mulligan to leave the game level pegging, 1-1 apiece.

Glenfin were implementing a policy of stopping Aodh Ruadh play out the field, as their high free count shows. There was little done to curtail this strategy, the decision not to show black when Ronan Drummond was plainly dragged down being a particularly contentious call. By contrast Glenfin were picking up scoreable frees with rather more ease, Gerry Ward hitting four across the remainder of the half. Barry Mulligan had a free sandwiched in the middle of that, while Aodh Ruadh's scoring for the half was concluded when a David McGurrin attempt on goal flashed over for a point in the 30th minute.

Half-time score Aodh Ruadh 1-3 Glenfin 1-5.

Ronan McGurrin got the second half off to a good start with a fine point. Five minutes into the half Aodh Ruadh had a real let-off when there was an unbelievable goal miss from Gerry Ward, the Glenfin man dragging his shot to the right of the post. Two minutes after that Ronan McGurrin leveled up the game from a well-worked free.

Then with ten minutes gone the ball went into the Aodh Ruadh defence and was sent on to Michael McGlynn who stuck the ball in the net. The ball seemed to have been fouled at least once in the build-up, but the goal stood.

Stephen McDermott then profited from the Ernesiders frustration with the goal award to add another point from the kick-out.

Ballyshannon carried the game to their opponents in waves in the final 20 minutes. Philip Patton set the tone, firing over an excellent point to rouse the Aodh Ruadh support. Then with 17 minutes left Barry Mulligan hit a free to put two points between the sides. In the 48th minute a super point from Niall Harley left the minimum in it.

Gerry Ward hit a free with nine minutes left, but it was Aodh Ruadh who were playing all the football with Glenfin trying to kill the play. During this period there was a bad tackle on Philip Patton as he went down to pick up the ball along the sideline, but a line ball was the decision. Then Kerry Ryan saw the line with a black card on the word of the fourth official.

A Barry Mulligan free four minutes from time brought it back to a one point game, but fortune was not to smile on the Ernesiders.

As the game ticked into added time Mulligan had a sensational chance to win the game outright, but his rasping shot rattled the crossbar and was cleared from harm's way. Then, with the last kick of the game, David McGurrin looked to have snatched a draw, but his shot hit off the upright and the referee blew for time from the kick out.

Aodh Ruadh can be proud of their performance in this game where their battling spirit and determination to play the game the right way did them great credit. It is profoundly disappointing to see this promising group denied promotion in this manner. From one to 15 and right down through the bench they tried their hearts out for the cause. They do not deserve to be playing their football in division three next year, but hopefully they will draw strength from this experience and come back stronger and wiser.

Many thanks to Maurice McLaughlin, Shane Ward, Greg Sweeney, Anthony Donagher and everyone who helped with the team across the year and thanks also to everyone who lined out in the senior jersey this year for their efforts. After the great strides made this year hope is strong that 2015 will be the year of the breakthrough.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Ciron Whoriskey, Damien Cleary, Michael Dolan; Anthony Boyle, Eamon McGrath, Niall Harley (0-1); Conor Patton, Kerry Ryan; Johnny Gethins, Ronan McGurrin (0-2), Ronan Drummond; Philip Patton (0-1), Barry Mulligan (1-3, 3f), David McGurrin (0-2, 1f).
Substitutes: Colm Kelly for Anthony Boyle 36m; Niall Murray for Kerry Ryan (BC) 46m; Niall Thomas for Johnny Gethins 56m; Donagh McIntyre for Conor Patton 59m.
Black card: Kerry Ryan 46m.
Wides: 7.
Frees conceded: 1st half: 11; 2nd half: 7; Total: 18.
Andrew Walsh; Gary Heron, Ronan Gallagher, John Harkin; Gary Dorrian, Frank McGlynn, Mark McGinty Jr; Michael McGlynn (1-0), Mark McGinty Sr; Stephen McDermott (0-2), Stephen McGlynn, Conor Ward; Kevin McGlynn, Gerard Ward (0-5), Jason Morrow (1-0).
Yellow card: Mark McGinty Sr 33m.
Wides: 4.
Frees conceded: 1st half: 13; 2nd half: 16; Total: 29.
Referee: Michael McShane (Kilcar)

Last modified: Thursday, 28 May 2020 at 10:46pm