Search the site >

Champagne performance sees off Killygordon men

Senior Division 3
25 April 2015
Aodh Ruadh 5-13
Red Hugh's 0-7
Father Tierney Park

A youthful Aodh Ruadh outfit, Anthony Boyle the only man in the ranks being the only man who could be considered a veteran, put Red Hugh's to the sword on Saturday to maintain their strong start to the 2015 season. It was Red Hugh's who opened the scoring though, Colm Melaugh finding the range with a 30 metre free. But after the sides exchanged wides Aodh Ruadh hit back in the best possible fashion. Ronan Drummond burst through and lashed a shot in only to see it come back off the framework. David McGurrin reacted quickest and dispatched the ball to the net.

The sides then swapped points. First Colm Kelly pinged over a nice point off the left boot, but Colm Melaugh landed another long range free, this one from outside the 45. Then the Ernesiders second goal of the evening arrived, Shane McGrath showed good vision to pop a ball over for Jamie McDonald to palm home. When Peter Boyle drilled over a 45 on 22 minutes it put two clear goals between the sides.

Ballyshannon's were starting to really open Red Hugh's up now and were creating goal chances with some regularity. The Killygordon keeper had already had to be alert to stop another goal effort before another raid down the pitch threatened a green flag. It started with good work from Anthony Boyle, intercepting a pass which was worked to Philip Patton. Patton, pulled the trigger but his shot flashed over.

Red Hugh's chalked up a third point from PJ Gallagher, but shortly after their keeper was being forced to make a save against Diarmaid McInerney. Colm Melaugh got his first point from play and all things considered, going in at the break just five points behind would have been a decent return for the visitors.

However Aodh Ruadh weren't done just yet. With a minute of play left in the half Philip Patton bore down on goal and this time he made no mistake, burying past the Killygordon netminder. A mere few seconds later Shane McGrath had the ball in the net to make the half-time score 4-3 to 0-4 in favour of the Ernesiders.

If anything Aodh Ruadh's dominance ratched up a notch in the second half. They started will a series of points from Niall Murray, Anthony Boyle, Peter Boyle with a 50 metre special, Philip Patton (2) and a fine effort from Jamie McDonald.

They put the tin hat on it when Colm Kelly did well to win a high ball against the full back before rounding the keeper and passing into an empty net. Philip Patton's blooming confidence saw him fire over a spectacular point from an acute angle out on the 21 metre line.

Anthony Boyle fisted over a point before Red Hugh's tagged on a few consolation scores from Colm Melaugh and Carl Scanlon. Philip Patton added a his final point of the day before Thomas McMenamin concluded the scoring for the Killygordon men.

The last word went to Shane McGrath who winged over a clinker of a point off the outside of the boot from 30 metres out and tight to the sideline. Real exhibition stuff.

A great display from all in an Aodh Ruadh jersey. The Ernesiders greater fitness told particularly in the second half as they ran the visitors ragged. Aodh Ruadh's next assignment should prove rather more testing as they travel to take on early pacesetters in the division, Milford.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Ronan Drummond, Conor Patton, Calum 'Cookie' O'Halloran; Nathan Boyle, Colm Kelly, Anthony Boyle; Eamonn McGrath, Damien Cleary; Shane McGrath, Diarmaid McInerney, Jamie McDonald; Niall Murray, David McGurrin, Philip Patton.
Subs: Niall Thomas for Diarmaid McInerney; Anthony Coughlin for Nathan Boyle; Mickey Dolan for Eamonn McGrath

Last modified: Friday, 29 May 2020 at 3:01pm