Search the site >

Victory over Milford earns Aodh Ruadh last four place

Intermediate Football Championship
26 September 2015
Aodh Ruadh 2-12
Milford 1-8
MacCumhaill Park, Ballybofey

Aodh Ruadh put in a sterling second half effort to defeat division three league leaders Milford and book their place in the county IFC semi-final in the curtain raiser at MacCumhaill park on Saturday evening.

Kyle Black proved the northerner's key threat again and it was him who got Milford off the mark with a point. The sides exchanged wides before Black was on the mark again, this time hitting the net to give Milford a 1-1 to no score lead.

An error in the Aodh Ruadh back line saw Pauric Patton’s pass across for Ronan Drummond intercepted and Pauric Curley fed Black, who slotted past Peter Boyle from close range.

Diarmuid McInerney finally got Aodh Ruadh off the mark with a free before Cathal McGettigan landed a point from 35 metres.

Milford hit another wide before the Ernesiders finally started to come to terms with the tempo of the game. Diarmuid McInerney tacked on his second free of the game and that was quickly followed by David McGurrin fisting over his opening score.

McGurrin took the sensible option with goal possibly on, but there was no mercy the next time the Milford defence opened up. Great work from Seamus Kane set up Johnny Gethins to surge through and place his shot past Shaun Gallagher.

Kane then added a point of his own not long after. McGettigan answered with his second of the game, but a further point from McInerney put Ballyshannon 1-5 to 1-3 ahead at the change over.

Cathal McGettigan and Kyle Black levelled things up after the break. However they went wide with a effort which would have put them into the lead and the next six scores went the way of Aodh Ruadh, with McInerney landing four of them.

There was a free followed by a point from play for McInerney before David McGurrin his his second of the day. There were another two frees from the Dunmuckrim ace before Barry Mulligan landed a point to make it 1-11 to 1-5.

However, Milford aren't the sort of team to lie down and battled hard in the closing stages of the game. Pauric Curley and McGettigan pulled them to within four points while Chris Barrett and Darragh Black missed goaling chances, Peter Boyle having to make a first class save to deny Black.

It was to be Ballyshannon's day though. First Eamonn McGrath pointed and then David McGurrin got himself one on one with Shaun Gallagher and buried the ball to end any debate about the outcome. Cathal McGettigan got the last score of the game, but it was very much of the consolation variety.

The win sets up a mouth-watering semi-final tie against Bundoran which is sure to attract a bumper crowd.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Pauric Patton, Johnny Gallagher, Callum O’Halloran; Eamonn McGrath (0-1), Conor Patton, Ronan Drummond; Johnny Gethins (1-0), Damien Cleary; Barry Mulligan (0-1), Diarmuid McInerney (0-7, 5f), David Dolan; David McGurrin (1-2), Shane McGrath, Seamus Kane (0-1).
Substitutes: Kerry Ryan for Johnny Gethins (42), Niall Harley for Ronan Drummond (47), Philip Patton for Shane McGrath (55), Nathan Boyle for Barry Mulligan (60), Niall Murray for David McGurrin (60).
Shaun Gallagher; Gary Merritt, Sean Black, Kieran Sheridan; Gavin Grier, Enda McHugh, TJ Evesson; Johnny Logue, Joey Cullen; Pauric Curley (0-2), Christopher Barrett, Luke Barrett; Paddy Peoples, Cathal McGettigan (0-4, 3f), Kyle Black (1-2).
Substitutes: Darragh Black for S.Black (44), Adam Serrinha for Grier (60).
Referee: Connie Doherty (Naomh Conaill).

Last modified: Friday, 29 May 2020 at 7:01pm