Search the site >

Reserves chalk up first win of the new season

Senior Reserve Division 1
1 April 2018
Aodh Ruadh 3-11
Naomh Conaill 3-10
Father Tierney Park

Aodh Ruadh were denied victory on the opening day of the season by a late 1-1 from Saint Michael's down in Dunfanaghy. However, there was more joy for the reserves on Easter Sunday as they just about got the better of the 2017 reserve county champions in a real ding dong of a battle.

The game got off to a flying start as Anthony 'Waddle' Coughlin palmed in after Niall Murray's rebounded shot fell nicely in his path. That was almost followed up with another three pointer as Michael 'Sticky' Ward's short free was hammered towards goal, but smashed off the post and away to safety. Naomh Conaill pulled level with three points, two of which were well executed frees, but Sticky Ward replied by finishing powerfully into the net to restore the hosts three point cushion. Aidan Murray gave himself a surprise appearance as a late stand in for goalkeeping duties, but was unlucky not to keep out a Glenties goal which pulled them level once more at 2-0 to 1-3.

Both teams exchanged a brace of points, Cian Dolan and Sticky Ward for the hosts in a passage of play which saw Dolan also make a goal line block. Two frees then had Glenties in front, but points from Chris 'Spanny' Goan, Niall Murray and a Sticky Ward free gave the hosts the slenderest of leads at half-time, 2-5 to 1-7 the scoreline.

Glenties were quickest out of the blocks on the restart and went ahead after scoring their second goal. But the home side produced some fabulous football in the next 10 minutes to take control again. Sticky Ward, a Dermot Slevin free and another from Waddle Coughlin after an excellent 50 metre carry by Gary Carty, followed then by Coughlin's second goal to left the score 3-8 to 2-7.

Naomh Conaill again showed their quality, digging out a third goal on 14 minutes which again Murray could do nothing about in nets. Another exchange of points followed with Cian Dolan landing a monster score along with another Sticky free, the game in the balance at 3-10 a piece with 5 minutes to play. Sticky Ward, who showed great leadership throughout, showed his class in landing the winning score as the clock ticked off the 60 minutes. But with plenty of stoppage time played, the visitors kept plugging and sent two efforts wide before the ref blew it up, much to the delight of a decent home crowd.

A fine performance by all, Cian McGloin, Gary Carty and Daniel Warnock were superb at the back, as were Cian Dolan and Niall Murray in the middle. Aidan Murray proved a solid replacement for Karl O'Brien in between the posts.

Last modified: Wednesday, 27 May 2020 at 11:24am