Search the site >

Aodh Ruadh see off determined Termon challenge

Senior Division 2
25 May 2019
Aodh Ruadh 3-12
Termon 1-12
John Hughes reports from Father Tierney Park

This was a game of two halves. The first saw the lion's share of the scoring, the second the preponderance of the drama. The first 30 didn't give referee Anthong McCallig too many problems as Aodh Ruadh made the most of their chances to go in leading 2-9 to 1-6.

The scoring tailed off significantly in the second half, but that wasn't for want of passion and effort from either side. Aodh Ruadh had to weather a fierce Termon drive to get back on terms and lost Niall Murray to two yellows in the process. However the visitors' advantage didn't last long with Shaun O'Donnell being lined on a straight red. From there to the conclusion Ballyshannon pushed on to secure hard earned, but deserved points.

Aodh Ruadh opened the scoring with just seconds on the clock, Nathan Boyle coming in on the end of a raking move from the throw-in to palm to the net.

A few minutes later the sides swapped points Daire McDaid landing a neat shot before Shane McGrath nursed a point over from an acute angle. Brother Eamonn then hit a well taken score for the homesters to put two between them.

Seven minutes in Darren Drummond was fouled for a free which Patton converted from close range. Shortly after Termon repaid in kind, Daire McDaid being fouled to give Christy Connaghan the chance to tap over.

Termon added to that with a superbly struck long range point from Enda McCormack. That up with a point in fortunate fashion for the visitors, Declan O'Donnell's shot on goal being saved but the rebound popping over the bar off the incoming Colm Kelly.

Christy Connaghan put a point between them at 1-3 to 0-5 as Termon started to tick over nicely.

Diare McDaid then fired the visitors into the lead for the first time Colm Kelly's attempted interception just not enough to stop Daire McDaid collecting and then laying off for Enda McCormack to blast to the back of the net

Heading into the second quarter Diarmaid McInerney hit a badly needed score, this a lovely effort from range.

Oisin Rooney then got on the of a flowing move from the kick out to shoot the Ernesiders back in the lead 1-6 to 1-5 with 22 minutes played.

Philip Patton put two between them a minute later with a free brought in for dissent. He followed that up not long after, taking in the final pass from Oisin Rooney before lofting over.

McInernery then carressed in a divine pass to Shane McGrath who gathered crisply, turned on a sixpence and drilled to the net to put two goals between them.

A few seconds later the long ball worked its magic again, this time it was Drummond collecting smartly before curling over.

The final score of the half went the way of Termon, Daire McDaid being fouled before stroking over off the deck left footed to leave it Aodh Ruadh 2-9 Termon 1-6 on the turnaround.

The second half was a more low-scoring, ill-tempered affair altogether. Aidan Sweeney got the scoring action going early in the second half, breaking through a heavy tackle before slipping over.

Aodh Ruadh responded to that six minutes later with a Philip Patton free, the second brought in for Termon dissent. Enda McCormack came back with a thunderous score from out on the right wing as the visitors sought to cut into the Ernesiders lead.

Termon then came back with a score with 12 minutes left to play from Shane Doherty after a spell of fraught football from both sides.

The men in marroon then got a shot in the arm with the dimissal of Niall Murray on a second yellow, leaving the hosts to see out the remainder of the game down to 14. The numerical advantage didn't last though with Shaun O'Donnell getting his marching orders on a straight red six minutes from time.

Termon responded well to that reversal though, Enda McCormack booming over a majestic point to put a goal between them.

Aodh Ruadh answered that with their first point in over 20 minutes, Oisin Rooney showing great strength to play in Colm Kelly to fist over and make it a four point game again.

Nathan Boyle then turned over a Termon kick out, raced in on goal and one twoed with Eamonn McGrath before taking the sensible option and fisting over with normal time all but up.

Termon had a glorious chance to net a desperately needed goal, Shane Doherty playing in Caolan Gallagher one on one with Peter Boyle, but the Ballyshannon shot-stopper pulled off an outstanding reaction save to deflect over for a point.

Deep into added time Darren Drummond collected the ball close in on goal, somehow or other he bundled the ball over the line to end any doubt about the outcome.

Enda McCormack responded with another fine point to finish the game on a personal haul of 1-4.

That was the last scoring action of the game, bringing down the curtain on a hard earned a six point win for Barry Ward's men.

Aodh Ruadh had to dig deep for this victory and there were a number of strong contributions across the pitch. Peter Boyle made a vital stop at a crucial stage in proceedings. In the half back line Nathan Boyle and Johnny Gallagher both had phenomenal games. Philip Patton's accuracy was once again a vital weapon in Ballyshannon's armoury. Also in attack Shane McGrath, Darren Drummond and Oisin Rooney gave a determined Termon rearguard plenty of problems.

Termon worked hard in this game and in Declan O'Donnell they probably had the most effective midfielder on show. Up front Daire McDaid's sweet left boot and stylish football did serious damage, while Enda McCormack's four points were all of the very highest order.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Calum O'Halloran, Colm Kelly (0-1), Michael Ward; Nathan Boyle (1-1), Johnny Gallagher, Johnny Gethins; Cian Dolan, Eamonn McGrath (0-1); Oisin Rooney (0-1), Philip Patton (0-5, 4f), Diarmaid McInerney (0-1); Niall Murray, Darren Drummond (1-1), Shane McGrath (1-1).
Subs: Michael McKenna for D McInerney HT; .
Mark Alcorn; Paul McDaid, Kevin McDaid, Caolan Gallagher (0-1); Shane Doherty (0-1), Nathan McElwaine, Oisin Cassidy; Aidan Sweeney (0-1), Declan O'Donnell(0-1); Shaun O'Donnell, Christy Connaghan(0-2, 1f), Anthony Grant; Enda McCormack (1-4, 1f), Daire McDaid (0-2, 1f), James Doherty.
Subs 17 for A Grant 52m
Yellow card: A Sweeney 41m
Referee: Anthony McCallig (Naomh Ultann).

Last modified: Sunday, 26 May 2019 at 10:13pm