Search the site >

Aodh Ruadh burn off Glenfin with sprint finish

Senior Division 2
25 July 2019
Aodh Ruadh 2-10
Glenfin 0-10
John Hughes reports from Father Tierney Park

Barry Ward and Philip Reilly's men were worthy winners here against Glenfin at a well attended Father Tierney Park for this novel Thursday night fixture.

However, the hosts were perhaps guilty of keeping the visitors alive in the contest a little longer than strictly necessary. Aodh Ruadh dominated possession in the first half, but some casual play in the attack saw them going in at half-time with just a three point lead. Over the course of the third quarter the Ernesiders passed up chances and took some poor shooting options and despite owning the ball for long stretches it was Glenfin who opened the second half scoring.

That served as a shot in the arm for Ballyshannon and they upped the tempo over the closing ten to 15 minutes to register two goals and secure two valuable league points.

Diarmaid McInerney opened the scoring two minutes in with a close range free after a foul on Michael McKenna. However Glenfin moved the ball straight up the pitch from the kick out though and Odhran McGlynn applied the finishing touch to the leveller.

Aodh Ruadh repaid that in kind with Shane McGrath being fouled for McInerney to steer over into a difficult breeze. A minute later and the trick was repeated again, foul on McGrath converted by McInerney to give the hosts a two point lead with six minutes played.

Glenfin quickly trimmed that back, Odhran McGlynn showing himself to be as effective from dead ball as open play.

With 11 minutes played Oisin Rooney was fouled and McInerney stood up to the free. The number 11 played a clever one two with the post(!) before kicking over Aodh Ruadh's first score of the game from play.

McInerney hit his fifth of the game two minutes later, this time it was created by some great grafting by Oisin Rooney to engineer the opening. Stephen Ward boomed over a fantastic point into that tricky breeze in answer.

Philip Patton became only Aodh Ruadh's second scorer of the game on 19 minutes with a fine rifled shot into the teeth of the crossfield gale. Then a couple of minutes later Odhran McGlynn again showed his quality to belt over a superb effort and put two between them.

Ballyshannon edged away again when Oisin Rooney was rewarded for his persistence. The big full forward pressured a Glenfin defender into coughing up possession before fisting over.

The visitors were staying in the game though, countering with speed before Ciaran Brady swung over another quality score.

Aodh Ruadh had plenty of quality up the other end too. Shane McGrath was fouled for a 40 metres out. It was a extremely difficult chance, but Nathan Boyle stroked it over with all the understated nonchalance of a 13 metre free.

The remainder of the half ebbed and flowed, but at the turnaround it was the Ernesiders who lead 0-8 to 0-5, with an absorbing second half in prospect.

Aodh Ruadh kicked five wides over the course of 11 second half minutes and it fell to Glenfin to open the scoring in the new half. Jason Morrow was fouled just on the edge of the area and Odhran McGlynn popped over to put two between them.

Philip Patton finally opened Aodh Ruadh's second half account on 47 minutes with a 13 metre free after a foul on Shane McGrath.

A minute later Ballyshannon got the goal they had been threatening. A quick counter saw Aodh Ruadh advancing into some rare open space in the Glenfin defence. Oisin Rooney had been attempting a fist pass across the face of goal, but the unfortunate Martin O'Donnell fumbled into his own net.

Glenfin nearly cancelled that out only for Peter Boyle to get down quickly and make the save. The visitors did make some inroads into the deficit though with Kaine McGlynn firing over before Daniel McGlynn followed that up with a close in free.

Aodh Ruadh responded well to that rally though, racing the ball up the field for Oisin Rooney to smash over and make it 1-10 to 0-8

Karl McGlynn kept things nervy for the home crowd with a neatly clipped point on 55 minutes. However the coup de grace came with two minutes of normal time left. First Nathan Boyle made a stunning catch from brother Peter's restart, he picked out the racing Oisin Rooney. Rooney put an inviting ball into the path of Dylan Gallagher and the young attacker rattled to the back of the net.

As the game moved into added time Jason Morrow hoisted over a free, but it was a case of too little too late as Connie Doherty's long whistle sounded on the next kick out to confirm a two goal victory for the Ernesiders.

A handsome win for Aodh Ruadh, but they had to weather a spell of poor form through the third quarter to see out the victory. Oisin Rooney was probably man of the match with a hard working and effective shift up front. Diarmaid McInerney was superb in the first half. Unusually Shane McGrath finished scoreless, but regular fouls on the attacker provided a rich seam of scoreable frees for Aodh Ruadh to exploit. Brother Eamonn was in dominant form out in the middle third. Further back Sean Taylor got through a lot of work, with Michael McKenna again showing himself to be a neat, stylish footballer. In defence Colm Kelly was immense, with a polished, unfussy display at number three.

Best for Glenfin was Odhran McGlynn who was a lively outlet in the final third, while Stephen Ward gave as good as he got in midfield.

Vital Statistics
Aodh Ruadh
Peter Boyle; Michael Ward, Colm Kelly, Johnny Gethins; Michael McKenna, Sean Taylor, Shane Gillespie; Cian Dolan, Eamonn McGrath; Diarmaid McInerney (0-5, 3f), Philip Patton (0-1), Niall Murray; Nathan Boyle (0-1), Oisin Rooney (0-1), Shane McGrath (-).
Subs: Darren Drummond for Diarmaid McInerney 46m; Dylan Gallagher for Niall Murray 54m; Paddy Gillespie for Shane Gillespie 56m
Liam O'Mara; Gary Heron, Ross Marley, Martin O'Donnell; Kyle Doherty, Gary Dorrian, Odhran McGlynn (0-3, 1f); Jason Morrow, Stephen Ward (0-1); Kaine McGlynn, Ciaran Brady (0-1), Daniel McGlynn; Kyle O'Mara, Karl McGlynn, Matthew McGlynn.
Subs: John Harkin for K Doherty (inj) 17m.
Referee: Connie Doherty (Naomh Conaill).

Last modified: Wednesday, 27 May 2020 at 11:29am